Actors and Musicians – Melbourne Playback Theatre Company is hiring!
Call-out for Melbourne-based actors and multi-instrumentalist musicians looking to join a dynamic improvisation ensemble with a high standard of artistic excellence.
Melbourne Playback Theatre Company is committed to being a supportive, inclusive and respectful workplace which accurately represents the communities in which we work.
We actively encourage applicants of all ages (18+), particularly those who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; those from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities; those from the Diverse Genders, Sexes and Sexualities communities; and those living with disabilities.
Successful candidates will receive training as part of the position, so we welcome not only experienced theatre performers and improvisers, but also applicants who have skills and passion that could be applied to improvised theatre.
Please help us get the word out and invite anyone you know who may be interested.
Expressions of interest are now open, closing Monday May 2nd 2022.
What does working with Melbourne Playback involve?
Melbourne Playback is one of Australia’s longest-running theatre companies. We hear stories from people of all walks of life, and perform as a tight ensemble of professional actors, musicians and facilitators to bring those stories to life. Playback Theatre is a challenging and hugely rewarding form which brings new perspectives to all who practice and witness it.
Being a Melbourne Playback ensemble member includes:
- Performing playback shows for public and commissioned audiences;
- Rehearsing with the ensemble in North Fitzroy (every Monday night during Victorian school terms);
- Facilitating workshops and training in improvisation, storytelling, teamwork skills, presentation and performance;
- Administration roles are divided between all company members, as the organisation is run by the ensemble.
The position is casual and paid.
Some flexibility in work hours is ideal, as gigs are often on weekdays during office hours and sometimes in evenings and on weekends. Gigs are usually within the Melbourne Metropolitan area, with occasional regional and interstate work (travel and accommodation covered).
Working professionally outside of Melbourne Playback is supported to maintain a ‘match-fit’ ensemble, while maintaining commitment to rehearsals and gigs.
New ensemble members begin with a three month training and trial period, which involves attendance at rehearsals in order to learn the Playback form and develop complicite with the ensemble.
Find out more about the company here: www.melbourneplayback.com.au
As an improvisational theatre company, auditions will be improvisation-based, so there is no need to prepare anything. In a supportive workshop-style audition, we will teach some basic Playback skills, and explore the form together.
While you work, we will be looking for –
- Genuine curiosity about other people and their experiences of the world;
- Ability to perform as part of a team, giving space to others as well as being able to step forward with your own offers;
- A sense of fun, playfulness and exploration;
- Strong engagement with physicality, voice (including some singing), character, imagery;
- Ability to ‘drop in’ to emotion as a performer;
- For musicians, the ability to respond to different stories with a range of musical offers, and to work with actors to improvise theatrical worlds and changing moods, supporting a range of characters and genres.
How do I apply?
To apply for an audition, please express your interest by filling out the form below by Monday 2nd May 2022. [We have extended this date to Friday May 6.]
Applications are now closed.
Expressions of Interest close – Monday May 2nd 2022.
These expressions of interest will be followed by interviews, and an opportunity to see what doing Playback involve.
Interviews – TBC
A showing and workshop to get to know the playback form – TBC
First round group audition – TBC
Call back group audition – TBC